Get to Know Dandelion

dandelion_root

Dandelions, those little yellow flowers growing on your lawn, may appear to be a pesky yard weed, but in fact, they are treasured in three of the world’s largest and oldest systems of herbalism for their healthy cleansing properties: European, Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda (the ancient holistic healing system of India).

Chock full of vitamins A, B, C and D, as well as minerals such as iron, potassium and zinc, the root and the leaves of the dandelion plant have been used in food and as a healing herb for much of recorded history. Dandelion root was also used to make the traditional British soft drink dandelion and burdock, and is one of the ingredients used to make root beer. Today, the plant is cultivated for food, beverage and medicine throughout Eurasia and North America.

Dandelions are thought to have evolved about thirty million years ago in Eurasia and there are now around 30 species of dandelion that can be found all over the world. The roots of the dandelion plant can extend as far as 15 feet into the ground, though they are more commonly 6 to 18 inches deep. Capped by bright yellow flowers that open in the morning with the sun and close in the evening or in dark weather, dandelions are edible in their entirety.

Most often used in combination with other ingredients or to make dandelion wine, the dandelion flower petals are edible but seldom eaten in comparison to the leaves and root from this hardy plant. The leaves act as a diuretic, and as such are supportive to the kidneys as well as to the digestive system. The root is the most commonly used part of the dandelion plant, and is used by herbalists as a healthy cleansing herb that is supportive to the liver. According to the American Herbal Products Association’s Botanical Safety Handbook (an authoritative text referenced by the FDA), dandelion is considered to be safe to consume when used appropriately, and an herb for which no clinically relevant interactions are expected.

Be well,

Kharta Purkh Singh Khalsa

• Eve Andra says:

I never knew! ThanQ so very much for sharing this valuable & interesting information.

• lorraine boginsky says:

Please send me information about your tea????

• Thank you I have heard that dandilions are good for ya .older people ate the greens during depression era

• Michelle says:

Does the Green Kombucha Tea have the same benefits as raw kombucha tea?

• BHenson says:

Wow, I had no idea. My son always picks them for me and says “mommy I got you a flower!” even though they shortly thereafter, it is a informative bit of information that I will share with him!

• Marianne Fasolo says:

I grew up eating dandelion greens picked fresh out our backyard. My family never used any weed killers or pesticides on our lawn. My Mom who is 94 years young sauteed them in olive oil and fresh garlic and added cici beans. Its a great healthy and filling vegan meal.

• Pattie Smith says:

I love Yogi and drink it every day. Over ice in San Mme & hot in winter. I remember picking dandelions as a child for our neighbor to make wine. I will have to try it in tea! I love that Yogi has a natural cure to all your ailments. I recommend it to all my family & friends. Whether for health or relaxation, Yogi gets me through my day!

Hello Lorraine,
    Thank you for reaching out! Please email customerservice@yogiproducts.com with any questions you have regarding our line of teas. We would be happy to provide you with information.
    Thank you again & Be well!
    ~Jenna

Hello Michelle,
    Thank you for your question! For the Kombucha used in our tea, we start with an actual live kombucha culture to create a green tea kombucha infusion. This infusion is grown in a base of water and green tea leaves. The water from this mixture is then removed by a natural spray dry process. Given that this process pasteurizes the infusion’s microbial culture, our Green Tea Kombucha does not contain living organisms as does traditional kombucha. However, the beneficial by-products of the kombucha culture remain, including numerous acids and vitamins.
    Thank you again & Be well!
    ~Jenna

• mike morash says:

excellent

• kojo oduro says:

can l add fresh lemon juice into my green tea and without sugar and drink ? also can l boil the root of dandelion and drink?

• Maryann says:

Which teas are safe to drink throughout the day while fasting?

• Phang says:

Hello, I am an avid loose leaf tea drinker and ran across Yogi on my search for new teas. I think it’s great that your tea focuses on ailments and not just purely on taste like other brands. I would like to order a few dozen boxes to try out the brand and was wondering if there may be any promotional codes or coupons that your company offers for new Yogi tea triers? Thank you.

• Wanda M says:

My mom, sister and I picked dandelions every spring. Mom mixed them with kale, watercress and other greens they raised in their garden. She cooked them with jawl bacon

• angela taylor says:

I would love to try some of your teas do u happen to send free samples out

• Leslie says:

Karta, It pains me to see people applying pestisides and weed killer EVERYWHERE! I would like to start growing healthy dandelions and edible flowers organically. What would be the best dandelions for salads, pancakes, and of course tea and where would I find the seeds? I have started doing some research on the edible flowers, like Johnny Pop-Ups. I love your tea and it has been fun trying the different mixes you’ve made.
    Keep up the wonderful work you do!
    Sincerely,
    Leslie

• Vicki says:

How informative in ref to the dandelion! Please send info on your teas. Thank You

Hello Angela!
    For samples and a coupon, we welcome you to visit our online Well-Wishes program where you can choose a pairing of complimentary teas. Enter a well-wish for yourself or for a friend and your tea pairing of choice will be mailed along with a $1-off coupon. Just visit: http://www.yogiproducts.com/well-wishes/.
    Be well!

Hello Phang!
    Be well!

• Pamela says:

Does Skin detox also help to flush out the liver and kidneys or is Detox the better solution to help all?

Also can I drink decaf coffee while detoxing?

Thank you for your questions! We welcome you to add lemon and/or sweeteners to your green tea to suit your taste preference. Dandelion root is an ingredient used in several of our teas, and may be boiled and consumed separately as a tea. Be well!

Hello Maryann! All Yogi teas are safe to drink with or without food. Hope this helps!

Hello Pamela! Thank you for reaching out to us with your questions. Yogi DeTox is formulated to support the liver and kidneys for healthy cleansing while Yogi Skin DeTox contains active ingredients to support an internal cleanse to promote healthy skin. There are no dietary restrictions associated with drinking either of these particular teas, or any Yogi teas. Be well!

Hello Leslie! Thank you for your question. I recommend Horizon Herbs for seeds: https://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=430. Dandelions have been eaten as a healthy vegetable for thousands of years, and every part of the plant can be used. If you’re willing to try a new vegetable in your garden, make it dandelions.
    Sow dandelions outdoors four to six weeks before the last frost. Sow seed directly, and once they’ve sprouted above the soil, thin so they are 6 to 8 inches apart.
    Dandelions prefer full sun but will grow in just about any light. They will grow in any soil or drainage, because these plants are incredibly resilient and tolerant of poor conditions. Add liberal amounts of compost to areas you’re sowing if you plan on harvesting the roots.
    The youngest leaves are the least bitter and most flavorful. Pick tender leaves throughout the growing season. If you are harvesting the blossoms, pick the flowers when they are bright yellow and young.
    The roots can be harvested at any time. Chop the dried roots into pieces 2 inches long and roast at 300°F for about 10 minutes, or dry them as any other herbal root remedy. I hope this is helpful, and thank you again for reaching out. Be well!

• Marva Green line have says:

I have been a tea drinker all my adult life never did like coffee. I have never heard of your tea brand. I will look for it in the store.

We appreciate your interest in our line of teas, Marva! Yogi teas are available nationwide in the US at your local grocery and super stores, as well as your local natural food stores and Whole Foods. To find them in a store near you, we welcome you to use our website’s Store Locator, which can be found at http://www.yogiproducts.com/dealer-locator/. Yogi teas can also be purchased online through our website using the ‘Shop Online’ link at the top of the page, or through amazon.com, iherb.com and vitacost.com, among other online retailers. Be well! ~Adriane @ Yogi

• I just bought a detox and a slim life tea are they like the same thing? should i drink one for thirty days and the switch to the other? what is the difference between them? also a carmel spice bedtime tea can i take that with the others?

Thank you for your questions, Julieanna!

Yogi DeTox tea a gentle way to help the body cleanse itself by aiding the two primary filtering organs, the liver and kidneys. It is made from a blend of time-honored herbs to promote kidney and liver function, as well as traditional Ayurvedic herbs to support blood flow.

Both Yogi Green Tea Blueberry Slim Life and Yogi Caramel Apple Spice Slim Life teas are formulated to support stamina and give you the energy you need in order to maintain an active lifestyle while dieting, but they each have different active ingredients and as well as different flavor profiles.

It is generally fine to drink more than one type of Yogi tea in the same day, or even combined in the same cup. This type of blending will not interfere with the functional benefits or effects of each tea. Our basic suggestion would be to stick with up to three types per day. However, if you are interested in combining two or more of our detoxifying teas (DeTox, Berry DeTox, Roasted Dandelion Spice DeTox, Skin DeTox and Peach DeTox), our recommendation would be to focus on drinking one of these detoxifying teas per week and rotating as you feel appropriate.

For our herbal teas that are detoxifying in nature, we recommend taking a break after 4 weeks of consumption in order for the body to equilibrate and readjust. Yogi DeTox is mild enough to be used every day for up to 30 days, after which we suggest pausing for about 7 days before resuming.

We hope this is helpful! Please email customerservice@yogiproducts.com with any further questions.

Be well!