Find Balance this Winter

540373640

Winter is a time to warm up and dry out—especially our respiratory tracts. To ward off cold and maintain good health during the winter months, it is best to get plenty of sleep and eat a nutritive diet. It’s also important to take care of your physical body with low-impact exercise activities and by enjoying massage with warm and moistening oils (think castor, sesame, mustard, and olive).

Winter Foods

In winter, choose warm, dry and easy-to-digest food such as millet, corn bread and barley, cooked with mild warming spices including garlic, cinnamon and cloves. In dry climates, add sweet, filling foods such as figs, carrots, dates and warm milk products, as well as ghee or sesame oil. Concentrate on foods with pungent taste, including ginger or radish, to stay warm and keep digestion moving. Add bitter flavors to help maintain healthy detoxification (such as leafy greens or dandelion root). Other outstanding winter foods include apples, prunes, beets, broccoli, buckwheat, dry oats, rye and beans. Cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, tofu (in warm dishes), corn and pumpkin seeds are also tasty and satisfying winter weather foods.

Drinking hot beverages is another delicious way to stay warm in the winter season. Warming winter teas often include ingredients such as sarsaparilla root, ginger root, juniper berry, cinnamon, cardamom, clove and black pepper.

Herbs for Winter

Black pepper, one of the most valued herbs in Asia, is traditionally used to generate body heat and give a sensation of warmth by bringing warming blood to the distant areas of the body.

Long pepper, a famous Ayurvedic herb, is a two inch long peppercorn closely related to black pepper, with which it is often combined. Long pepper is traditionally used by herbalists to moisturize tissues, including those in the lungs, while black pepper is thought by herbalists to help keep these tissues from getting congested.

Ginger, Ayurveda’s “universal medicine”, is another spicy, pungent herb that can help promote circulation and digestion. Teas containing ginger can be soothing when congested or feeling under the weather. Historically, ginger has also been one of the most respected herbs to support the joints.

This trio of warming herbs – Black Pepper, Long Pepper, and Ginger – forms the famous “trikatu” (“three pungents”) Ayurvedic formula. In a cold, moist winter, this combo is superb. This time-honored combination of herbs can be found in our DeTox tea.

Other herbs with warming, Ayurvedic properties include cinnamon, cardamom, fennel, anise, cumin and holy basil (tulsi), which can be found in our Tulsi Spiced Berry Immune Support tea.

We hope these tips help to keep you warm and comforted this season!

~Karta Purkh Singh Khalsa

• Lorraine says:

I have diverticulitis what yogi tea show I drink. I am drinking Green Tea Kombucha at this time.

• Marie says:

I have been drinking your antioxidant tea three times a day and I truly think it has helped me. All those cups of tea and only today I realized that you print a little bit of wonderful wisdom on the little tag at the top of the string that holds the teabag. I just love that. So much so that I went through my garbage trying to find the others that I had thrown away, but they were all gone. Is there a place where you publish them online? I collect little bits like that and frame them so that I may read them often. Thank you.

• Deneb says:

Very good information. I have tried Yogi Ginger tea and I will try others that you mentioned in the article.

Thank you for your question, Lorraine! We take a conservative stand when it comes to individual health, especially with regard to specific medical conditions such as diverticulitis. In light of your condition and given that everyone can respond uniquely to particular herbs and botanicals, we strongly recommend you consult your qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have about your individual health and the consumption of Yogi teas. He or she is best suited to identify any substances to which you may be uniquely sensitive, and to make a recommendation in light of your personal medical profile. Thank you again & Be well!

Hi Marie! We’re happy to hear how much you enjoy our teas and inspirational messages. Although we don’t publishes our tea tag messages online at this time, we often post pictures of our tea tags on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. We welcome you to join us there to see pictures of our tea tags, as well as share your own Yogi tea pictures using #yogitea. Thank you & Be well!

• Mary Lee says:

Mary here… I loved yogi teas for 2years, and it took me one year to realize how beneficial your teas are. Love Calming! Breathe Deep, Lemon Ginger. Going to try many more this year.
    Wish I knew about you 28 years ago! Namaste!

• Becca Lesser says:

Hi Mary! Thanks so much for the kind words. Happy to hear that you enjoy our Calming, Breathe Deep, and Lemon Ginger teas and are excited to discover our other delicious tea varieties 🙂

Thanks again, and be well!

• Do YOU have something for Bronchitis . I have been sick since Oct 2016.
    I get Bronchitis 2 -3 times a yr. Usually can clear with Meds but NOT this time. 2 sets of meds plus inhaler and Worse NOT better.
    I drink ur Peach Detox a couple times a year. Usually when I think I’m getting sick. Trying to clean out my system. But I still get sick. NO I do NOT eat right. I keep trying but we like our Pizza and comfort foods especially when sick. I do eat salad just greens we don’t seem to like tomatoes and they do NOT like us. I do NOT like croûtons on mine. A little thousand Island dressing and some meat on top or hard boiled egg.
    I did like taking ur little quiz. Who knew I am a Kapra????? OH how much Detox tea is good for a person. I am taking Echinacea, B 12, Zinc plus Vitamin D. K Thanks Avona Preston

• Becca Lesser says:

Hi There Avona,

At Yogi, we take a conservative stand when it comes to individual health. In regards to your bronchitis, we recommend that you consult with a qualified health care provider for further assessment. He or she is best suited to answer any specific questions you may have about your health.

Thank you, and Be Well!

• Hi I found your artical

And want to try some of your tea. I’m a 67 yr. women. Just found out I’m boarder line diabetic. Witch tea would you recamend for me. And a 25 year kidney transplant. Thank you Susie

• Becca Lesser says:

Hi Susie,

Thanks so much for your interest in Yogi teas! Here at Yogi, we take a conservative stand when it comes to individual health. Given that everyone can respond uniquely to herbs and botanicals, we recommend that you consult your qualified health care provider regarding your overall health and the consumption of Yogi teas. He or she is best suited to identify any substances to which you may be uniquely sensitive and to make a recommendation in light of your personal medical profile.

Please let us know of any further questions that you may have, or if we can provide any recommendations based on flavor preference. Thank you, and be well!