Senior R&D Food Technologist
At Yogi, we believe the purpose of business is to serve. Our company was founded on that belief and uses service as its guiding principle: “Feel Good, Be Good, Do Good.” We are committed to providing healthy and delicious teas that are accessible to as many people as possible. With more than 40 years of experience, we strive to support the health and well-being of our consumers by incorporating the highest-quality natural and organic ingredients in our teas. It is the strength of our people and our guiding principle that have contributed to Yogi tea becoming and remaining the #1 tea brand in the US natural channel and one of the fastest growing brands in conventional food and mass markets.
We are looking for a Senior R&D Food Technologist that embraces the Yogi brand and has a passion for food and wellness. The creation of new products is a collaborative effort and the ability to work in a team environment, taking many perspectives into consideration while balancing function, flavor, cost of ingredients and manufacturing capabilities to produce the best possible product is paramount to success in this role.
The Senior R&D Food Technologist will support Product Development and R&D functions throughout the business. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to; working closely with Marketing on all forms of new product innovation from concept to commercialization, conducting shelf life and sensory evaluations, label review and validation, working with Procurement to source and approve new ingredients and alternate suppliers, product and process improvements, and other research & development tasks. Attention to detail, excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong organizational abilities are required.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Independently lead and coordinate development work on new innovation and existing products
- Plan, organize and execute sensory evaluation testing of new and existing products, shelf life, second sourcing and consumer use test
- Document observed results, analyze data, draw conclusions and make recommendations during product development activities
- Support all technical development activities to scale-up for commercialization, product launch and post-launch monitoring
- Support Customer Service, Marketing and Shipping by providing product technical information as requested
- Update and maintain product formulation, ingredient and finished goods specifications, organic and kosher product status and nutrition databases
- Work with Procurement to ensure consistent specifications for new ingredients from vendors; assist in sourcing, testing and approving new suppliers and/or ingredients
- Partner with Procurement and Marketing to address and implement any formulation changes to existing blends
- Proof artwork packaging for all new products and any changes to existing artwork
- Understand the herbal and medicinal functions of our raw materials and our finished products; actively learn about new herbal and nutritional sources of health and wellbeing
- Understand Yogi’s values and consumer needs
Required Competencies & Knowledge:
- 5-6 years experience in Food Research and Development
- Bachelor’s degree in Science is required; degree in Food Science is preferred
- Strong math, computer, basic scientific, statistical and analytical skills
- Be familiar with GMPs and CFR 111 for dietary supplements and an understanding of organic regulations
- Demonstrated success in developing new products; from concept through to commercialization
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and plan work activities efficiently
- Very detail oriented in observations and documentation; and possesses strong math, computer, statistical and analytical skills
- Ability to follow written and scientific procedures and troubleshoot production problems within the context of written guidelines or directives
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Engage in precise and complete communication with customers, sales, operations and all departments involved with assigned projects
- Problem-solve issues before they impact new product or production processes for highest level of operating efficiency and profitability
- Ensure collaborative relationships with industry, trade, other associations, regulatory agencies and cross-functional Yogi teams
- Receive instructions and report back progress
- Show high-level of independence and initiative
The work environment is an office and laboratory setting with exposure to herbs and food-safe chemicals. This job requires frequent standing and walking on concrete floors, as well as sitting at a desk/computer station.
East West Tea Company, LLC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and compliance with federal, state and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, performance and business needs.
To be considered, candidates must submit in Word format a cover letter highlighting their experiences that meet the minimum qualifications as well as a job-specific resume. The cover letter should also include salary expectations. Submissions may only be made via email to email@example.com.